Monday, January 23, 2012

Happy Chinese New Year!!

Here we go!! It's the Year of the Dragon -- 2012 that means many Chinese people will be getting married and having babies b/c of the almighty and powerful creature. Funny part is that this animal doesn't even exist. Anyhow, GONG HAY FAT CHOY :)  I'm wearing a bright red shirt.


I got back not too long ago from Belize. Kevin and I took a 15minute plane ride to an island off the coast. To my surprise, it was extremely touristy -- mainly Americans. I was really looking forward to practicing Spanish but that was scrapped out fast. The four day getaway was good because it gave me lots of time to clear my head and to reflect on the year. Most of you know that my head is constantly running which may be good/bad but sometimes it needs a break. I got many things squared away and really hoping that 2012 will be a great one, assuming certain things are under my control. 


To the fun stuff, there was plenty of seafood to go around on island and every meal had some deviation of shrimp in it. I finally understand why people like the beach so much (to be honest, I'm still not the biggest fan). It was really relaxing to wake up to this nice scenery. Kevin and I decided to walk for the most part and not rent a bike or golf cart because we don't get to walk very often despite working in the city.  I walked  barefoot to get the free exfoliation in -- the bottom of my feet is silky smooth but i've got bug bite stains lol


On our free days, we decided to snorkel in Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley!! I realized that I liked swimming but not so much with the fish. There were times where I felt like I was in an aquarium. The fish were quite large (8-11inches long) and they swam in packs.  It was really nice.  The following day, we didn't know what to do so we decided to fish so instead of swimming with them, we're going to catch and eat them! lol


We rented the boat to ourselves for half a day and drove out to fish.  There were 4 ways of catching seafood: a rod, striker, hook and bare hands! I went with the rod b/c it was the least cruel. Kevin and the captain went with the striker (a stick with 3 sharp prongs at the end) -- strike/stab when you see a lobster/fish. The lobster looked a bit different. It wasn't those big blue ones we get here, it was more like a jumbo shrimp, nonetheless we managed to find a few. I had a feeling that I would either lose the striker or hurt the fish so I spectated. Kevin caught a mini fish which we used for bait later on that day.  Overall, it was lots of fun b/c we actually ate what we caught and got a really good workout from it. Though it did start to rain towards the end of the day and we didn't have lunch on board so we were cold and starving. The captain made us steamed seafood over curry sauce and vegetables -- it was absolutely delicious. Food couldn't have tasted better.


man, i LOVE traveling. what to do.... til my next adventure (...in nyc)


3 comments:

  1. loveee this post Crsie!! amazing story of your time there! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This should go on your crsiekevin blog dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol i was trying to focus on the working out element.

    ReplyDelete